Friday, October 10, 2014

Don't Call Me That


I have had this discussion with others in the voiceover world. On occasion it has turned in to an argument that I probably didn't win. Here it comes. How dare you call me a voice actor. Now, there it is, my argument starter. It's my opinion. So let's call it a draw before we even start the argument. If you are interested, read on.

Voice Actor Image
I never wanted to be an actor. I hated being on stage taking on the persona of someone else. That's because I am me and I can be no one else. That's also why when I was a youngster I always wanted to be a radio personality. And, I did that for 22 years. The fact that I don't refer to myself as a voice actor probably riles a lot of people and probably limits my marketability as a voice talent. Then again, I refer to it as my vocal niche.

Everyone has a personality and a style. Mine happens to be that of a warm and conversational guy. I love bringing my personality to a client's material. So, when I take on a project, I bring to the microphone a little bit of me, oh OK, a lot of me. Most of the time I'm a nice guy and I think that comes across in the projects I tackle. But, if you piss me off I can be an S.O.B. (some other brand). So if a potential client does tick me off or I offended them in some way, we probably never got to do a project together anyway. There are a handful, I have to admit.

So, if you ask me to be a character in a video game (highly unlikely) or commercial, I'll give it a try. If you want the character to have a personality like mine, we're “In Like Flint.” But, the actor you seek is just not in me.

4 comments:

  1. I love the fact that you recorded this and posted the text. It only makes sense for a voice over talent to read aloud his own post. I think your on to something very logical for anyone doing voiceovers to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rick. I've been doing this with my blogs for quite a while now and quietly trying to suggest the same thing to other voice talents. Like you said, it seemed very logical to me. The past blogs are all here in the archive and in my Soundcloud archive. Thanks for commenting and also thanks for taking the time to listen to and read my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Call yourself what you believe you are because YOU are enough. I hear what you're saying, Jerry, and think labels don't really mean anything. You could just as well call yourself a talker. Let's see, there's Voice Talent, Voice Artist, Voice Actor and variants with the word 'over'. Doesn't it all pretty much mean the same thing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts. The phrase "voice actor" in my opinion is often misapplied, especially in my case. I never thought of myself as an actor. As a matter of fact i never had any interested in acting at all. But I love telling stories and explaining products and services with what comes natural to me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome but will be moderated due to spammers leaving promotional messages. Sorry that I've had to do this.